beginner forum: for novice and developing blues harp players > Tuning a harp
Tuning a harp
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

knight66
108 posts
Jan 30, 2020
12:03 PM
I downloaded a tuner the other day and as I some time to spare I had a practice gaping and tuning a old C harp which went fairly well. Most were pretty close so didn't need much work. It's given me the confidence to have a go at my C session steel again most a fairly close with just a couple wide of the mark by 15 to 20 cents. Before I have a go does any body have any words of wisdom as my tuning knowledge is very basic.
I am confused about my SCX-64 chromatic on which most holes are way out some as much as 25 cents to the extent that I think I maybe missing or more likely misunderstanding some thing. Any advice would be appreciated.
SuperBee
6456 posts
Jan 30, 2020
2:28 PM
Knight, I started to reply but it was bound to be another epic so instead I’ll offer this as a starter:

https://www.patmissin.com/tunings/tun8.html

I do recommend that a 64 reed chromatic (or any chromatic) is not the best choice for a first project.

However, I would also take a look at the hohner workshops video on tuning. Gabi makes it look easy, but be aware she has skills!

https://youtu.be/pfC9OPmhyuU
knight66
109 posts
Jan 31, 2020
8:06 AM
Once again thanks very much BEE
There is no way I'm going to tackle my chromatic. After watching the slightly weird Hohner video I ended up on Slidemiester and it seems it's not unusual for these to be out of tune.
The Pat Missin page was interesting and proved I don't know any where near enough yet.He said he tunes them slightly sharp so I may have been a little over critical. I was expecting a lot of it.
I also watched one of Bredans videos on tuning diatonics and he said the same.
I will have a careful go at my seydel session steel over the next couple of days as its by far my favourite harp.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS