Header Graphic
Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Chugging a V chord?
Chugging a V chord?
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

IaNerd
97 posts
Jul 10, 2022
3:30 PM
If you are chugging along for harmony and rhythm, and you hit the V chord, what do you do, since a Richter harp has no V chord?
Gnarly
3060 posts
Jul 10, 2022
6:04 PM
I assume you are inhaling, that’s definitely a V chord.
If you need V of V, use a Country tuned.
snowman
773 posts
Jul 11, 2022
8:24 AM
If Im doing rhythm;

In cross harp;
I will split tongue the 1 n 4 draw [root of V chord] and sometimes bend n release that, several times to get b5 to 5 sound-
U have to be able to split tongue bend--it doesn't always sound good, depends on the feel of the song

then reverse split 1 n 4 blow for [root of IV chord]

or simply blow any holes for Iv chord
barbequebob
3681 posts
Jul 11, 2022
8:38 AM
If you want to do chord chugging on the V chord, get another harp that's in first position of the key that you're playing in, for example, if you're playing in the key of A, for the I and IV chords, you use a D in 2nd position and then you use an A played in 2nd position for the V chord. Really simple and also very basic music theory as well.
----------
Sincerely,
Barbeque Bob Maglinte
Boston, MA
http://www.barbequebob.com
CD available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/bbmaglinte
Todd Parrott
1530 posts
Jul 11, 2022
5:17 PM
I use 1 and 2 draw. This is technically cheating, but it works. The 1 draw is the dominant sounding note that bleeds through, but the 2 draw is included mainly for a little reed noise. The 2 draw isn't part of the V chord, but this usually isn't noticable when chugging. If you're in a situation where a producer or an artist really wants the sound of a true V chord, then using a second harp as barbequebob describes is the way to go. Many of the Nashville players use the method I described (1 and 2 draw) as well, which is where I learned it (especially Terry McMillan and Buddy Greene). Hope this helps!

Last Edited by Todd Parrott on Jul 11, 2022 5:18 PM
IaNerd
98 posts
Jul 12, 2022
9:15 AM
Thanks, fellas.
Gnarly
3061 posts
Jul 13, 2022
8:04 AM
The two notes (let’s use a C) are D and G.
You could say this is a Vsus chord if you want to.
I can’t consider this to be a V chord, but I bet if I heard Todd do it, I would find it acceptable.
I REALLY like real triads, but the standard tuning of the 10 hole has only three—on that C harp, they are C, G7, and Dm6.
Harmonetta time!

Post a Message

(8192 Characters Left)

Modern Blues Harmonica supports

§The Jazz Foundation of America

and

§The Innocence Project

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS