Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Hohner Harp Blaster HB52 mic
Hohner Harp Blaster HB52 mic
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

jpmcbride
282 posts
Jun 12, 2021
9:08 AM
I don't know how many of you have tried the new Hohner Harp Blaster HB52 mic. To me, the best thing about this mic is the shell. Its small, easy to hold and cup, and its built solid. The front is flat which makes it easy to hold the harp right up against the grill when cupping. And the volume control feels and works great. The sound is good, very playable. But for those that like to tinker and modify ...

A Shure CM or CR element will fit into the shell with just a little work. The diameter of a CM is just slightly too large to drop into the shell. But a dremel tool and sanding wheel, and about 15 minutes of careful work took care of that. I just went around the inside lip of the shell, removing metal little by little, until the CM dropped in. Just be careful to take off the metal evenly. You don't want to leave a thin weak spot in the shell. Make sure you go just far enough so that the CM element drops in enough to allow the grill to fit back on the front of the shell. I soldered to the existing wires, put a bead of silicone adhesive around the opening, dropped the CM element in, and closed it up.

It sounds great!
Lou
118 posts
Jun 12, 2021
4:13 PM
I was thinking of trying one out, I have an old version BB & put a Turner element in it, sounds good but a smaller shell would be nice. What did you gain by putting the CM element in there ? Or what did you think of the stock element ? I put the Turner in mine because I thought the old version BB sounded kinda thin and raspy. The old Turner element is real nice, crisp & fat & can get louder than my Bulletini without feedback.

Last Edited by Lou on Jun 12, 2021 4:30 PM
SuperBee
6968 posts
Jun 12, 2021
4:26 PM
I thought one of these was going to be my next mic, but I forgot and blew all my dough on another vintage unit.
jpmcbride
283 posts
Jun 12, 2021
7:40 PM
The HB is a great mic and sounds good stock. I only changed the element to a CR because I had it sitting around not being used. Otherwise I would have been fine playing it stock.

I think the CR has a hotter output. This may or may not be a good thing, depending on what you're playing it into. It also has more rasp, or at least a different kind of rasp. I like it better than the stock element, but only marginally. Like I said the HB is playable as is.

----------
Jim McBride
Bottle 'O Blues microphones
www.bottleoblues.com
TetonJohn
394 posts
Jun 13, 2021
8:36 PM
Just an aside: I've always intentionally kept the harmonica away from the microphone grill (about an inch) -- something about a resonant chamber -- however no scientific testing on my part.
Lou
123 posts
Aug 16, 2021
3:34 PM
I bought one & it is very well built & I really like the locking mic cord ! Nice shell size too. Comparing it to my Bulletini the HB isn't quite as fat sounding, has a little more mid range tone to it. It's not raspy or really honking but it's got a good sound & with a little amp EQ you can can get a nice Chicago sound going no problem. For some reason it doesn't seem as responsive to a good tight cup like the Bulletini. Probably not fair to compare a 230.00 mic to it but that's what I've got. If you have a Bulletini there be no reason for a HB except if you want a the larger shell or maybe a nice back up mic. Maybe I'll go jpmcbride route & put in my Tuner element & see how that goes.
Harpaholic
978 posts
Aug 24, 2021
9:20 PM
It's technically Low Z so why use it if you need a transformer?
Am I missing something?

What does raspy and honking mean in mic terms? I presume raspy is referring to distortion. Honking, no idea?

Last Edited by Harpaholic on Aug 24, 2021 9:27 PM
SuperBee
7002 posts
Aug 25, 2021
2:29 AM
LowZ? All the marketing claims it’s hi z
Harpaholic
979 posts
Aug 25, 2021
11:53 AM
Tech Specs

Here's what I found. Is there two versions?

Microphone Type: Dynamic.
Frequency Range: 22Hz-16kHz.
Output Impedance: 450 ohms.
Sensitivity: 17.8 mV/Pa (-35 dBV)
Color: Green.
Connector: XLR.
Dimensions: 3" x 1.9"
Weight: 0.45 lbs.

Last Edited by Harpaholic on Aug 25, 2021 11:54 AM
20REEDS
66 posts
Aug 25, 2021
4:59 PM
The se site lists the impedance as 45 kohms

which equals to 45,000 ohms
Harpaholic
980 posts
Aug 25, 2021
8:20 PM
I did find that one?

Last Edited by Harpaholic on Aug 25, 2021 8:25 PM
Lou
124 posts
Aug 26, 2021
6:43 AM
Raspy & Honking probably not the best description. Anyway what I was trying too say is raspy meaning bad sounding distortion. I bought a cheap crystal element of ebay for about 16 bucks put it in a brown Shure shell & it was raspy as hell just doesn't sound good no matter what amp I tried it on.
The HB is not that all, IMO the break up on HB is nice much better than the older Blues Blaster.
Honking was what I would call a great mic being very responsive to your playing, great bottom end but not dull or & plenty of highs & mids to cut through a mix.
So to my ears the HB isn't that, it's good mic no doubt but just isn't as good as the Bulletini.
In reality kinda splinting hairs & the bottom line is the player is the one producing the most of tone. But I'm one of the guys that really like amps & mics, kinda like Clapton who gets off on "screaming guitars" a much better choice of words than "raspy & honking"
Harpaholic
981 posts
Aug 26, 2021
11:37 AM
I dont have a shortage of mics and elements, but if I was looking the XLR is a deal breaker for me.
SuperBee
7003 posts
Aug 26, 2021
1:58 PM
The xlr is the clincher for me.

Post a Message

(8192 Characters Left)

Modern Blues Harmonica supports

§The Jazz Foundation of America

and

§The Innocence Project

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS