Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Best blues harp in G
Best blues harp in G
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

Laurie McVay
2 posts
May 19, 2020
4:43 AM
We all know that harps in G tend to be a drag. Those heavy low reeds can be unresponsive. I'd like to find a good one, Does anyone have any recommendations? I normally use Marine Bands.
jbone
3210 posts
May 19, 2020
4:59 AM
I find the G's low end notes to be a cool feature to use in a D song, or Am in 3rd. True they take some work to get flowing smooth. I like MB Deluxe and I have a Suzuki Manji in G that sounds out very well. Also I have a Suzuki SCX48 in G that's great in both 1st and 3rd.
----------
Music and travel destroy prejudice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109912442677135/?ref=bookmarks

Reverbnation

Facebook

Harpaholic
962 posts
May 19, 2020
5:25 AM
The Key of G is actually my favorite key, especially amplified.
I would highly recommend the Seydel Session Steel
I own many SS harps, and there all great right out of the box!
Just picked up a D and G.

Last Edited by Harpaholic on May 19, 2020 5:32 AM
20REEDS
63 posts
May 19, 2020
5:39 AM
I play crossovers that I do work on. over the last couple of years I have used my G harp as my carry everywhere practice harp. Before, I felt the same way, but soon I my lungs "got use" to the lower reeds.

Now I love my G harp because I'm starting to appreciate fiddle tunes and of course the G harp is the same range as a fiddle.
Sarge
786 posts
May 19, 2020
6:32 AM
Buy one of these. https://bluemoonharmonicas.com/collections/rob-paparozzi-custom-big-river
----------
Wisdom does not always come with old age. Sometimes old age arrives alone.
Laurie McVay
3 posts
May 19, 2020
8:32 AM
No 'like' buttons here, so please just accept my thanks. I will follow up your well-informed suggestions.
jerome
14 posts
May 19, 2020
3:31 PM
My favorite G harp is a Joe Spiers stage 1 that Sarge gave me. I like the lower harps.
Steve Harvell
256 posts
May 19, 2020
6:01 PM
(G) is one of my favorite keys
to play! I am in love with the Kongsheng "Solist'....sounds so smooth....I have found from teaching that the lower keys take a while for some folks but when you get it a G is the bomb :)
snowman
561 posts
May 19, 2020
9:24 PM
I now sometimes use my chromatic, thru the Pa, When
a song is in D especially D minor, it cuts through the mix and its a break away from my amp.

If I play in D on a diatonic, I keep a "High G" in my pocket for when the band gets to loud. I've worked very hard the last few years on holes 6-10. so sometime i play holes 6-10 on a regular G, to help cut through.

try a high G

also try a suzuki promaster---It has a metal comb and more treble. the reeds are also adjusted quite tight and responsive.

When I sit in and I want to use a regular G-I ask the band to come down on my leads. it usually doesn't happen. There "coming down" is still to loud.

I know what u mean though. The problem is the reeds do respond slowly. Thats why playing in a loud band its tough. U tend to blow to hard, to be heard, this ruins the finesse.
SuperBee
6635 posts
May 20, 2020
2:45 AM
I don’t know if there’s a real answer. G harp is a bit more technique sensitive perhaps but i think every key harp kinda has its own character.
its just calibration I guess.

I don’t know if there’s a standout stock model in G
I’d say just go with a harp model you generally like and maybe really get cosy with a G for a while.
I somehow have wound up with a Spiers Stage 2 and you know it’s probably close to being around as good as it gets. It’s a super nice harp but it still is a G harp and doesn’t take kindly to heavy breathing.
I’m not saying you’re at fault or implying anything at all like that, just that’s my experience of G harps in general. I have fought that tendency to play too hard and made progress but still can do better I think.
Now you have me thinking. I’m gonna find my G harps and try them

Ok, that was kinda interesting.
I found 4 without looking too far. The Spiers, a Crossover, Special 20, and a mildly modified Marine Band 1896.

Forget the Spiers, it’s what you’d hope it would be, a benchmark I suppose.
I got that harp to help me work on overblows, then almost immediately went in a different direction. Let’s say it’s still up to the task.
Of the rest, the Special 20 is the weakest. It’s a pretty old harp which I bought 2nd hand. I’d have cleaned it and done basic setup on it but I don’t think I ever put serious attention to it. Had forgotten it existed. It is ok, but I expect better.
The crossover is actually really good. In terms of my capacity to put it to the test it’s actually just as playable as my Spiers harp. I mean, there’s nothing I can play on the custom which I can’t play on the crossover with equal comfort.

My 1896 is probably not quite as tight as the crossover but it’s close. The mod on that is a corian comb, installed around 8 years ago. I think I bought this harp in 2009...or 2008. The reedplates are stamped 07 so that seems about right. Only replaced the comb because of the old problem with swelling.
That’s reminded me; I have an old “Hicksville” Marine Band in G. It’s not in the same league as any of these.

Last Edited by SuperBee on May 20, 2020 3:44 AM
Dai
30 posts
May 20, 2020
5:37 AM
My session steel in G arrived this morning sounds great but not really had time to test it yet.

Suzuki Blues Master is good in G for me anyway.
Laurie McVay
4 posts
May 20, 2020
6:12 AM
By now, I have about 15 leads to follow up. Thank you.

Of the obvious candidates, I've never been keen on Hohner Special 20s or Bluesharps. I also much prefer the sound of wooden combs. But I'll think on.
dougharps
2109 posts
May 20, 2020
8:20 AM
The reeds in the lower octave of regular G harps seem slower to respond to fast runs than other harps, but those same reeds can give you great tone if correctly used. If I am playing cross harp for hyperactive rock or bluegrass runs I use a High G harp.

I have regular pitch G harps in SP20 (a couple), Deak Harp MB, Crossover, Session Steel, Manji, Easttop, Delta Frost, Lee Oskar (a couple). I find that the playability is more a matter of setup than of brand. Custom harps are usually set up better, but a quick gap adjustment can make any harp better.

Of all listed, the Lee Oskar is the most airy, but I could gig with any or all of the above. A leaky reed plate to comb fit will hurt response. From long past experience, a Marine Band can vary widely in how good it sounds OOTB.

Special 20s are fine if properly gapped. Just remember that with the closed cover sides of a Special 20 you are not hearing as much of your harp as you do with open sided covers.

Lately I have decided I prefer closed sided covers for higher pitched keys and open sided covers for lower pitched keys. However, I am not investing to add a lot of different covers just to support this idea. I did switch around some Manji and Olive covers in support of this idea.

Learning to adjust gaps is really important.
----------

Doug S.
Gnarly
2804 posts
May 20, 2020
1:29 PM
I am like several here, my best G is a Special 20 Stage One Spiers. Joe does great work.
But the harp in my kit is a Manji, and I think it is a good candidate.
Lowtone9
1 post
May 21, 2020
9:24 AM
One of my favorite harps ever, over the years, was a Special 20 in G. Just the right resistance, etc...Most Gs feel too loose to me.

Last Edited by Lowtone9 on May 21, 2020 9:25 AM
jbone
3212 posts
May 21, 2020
3:13 PM
I play either a Manji or a MB Deluxe in diatonic, generally 2nd or 3rd position. I also make good use of the Suzuki SCX48 chromatic in G for both 1st and 3rd position.
----------
Music and travel destroy prejudice.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1109912442677135/?ref=bookmarks

Reverbnation

Facebook

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS