Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Doug Deming w/The Iceman
Doug Deming w/The Iceman
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

The Iceman
3958 posts
Nov 18, 2019
4:38 AM
Back in Detroit in the 90's, Doug Deming and I used to play together in a band backing up "Yard Dog Jones" - we went to Memphis for the IBC Challenge and won "New Blues Artist Release" Award, so it was great fun to reconnect with Doug after 25 years at a house party in Florida. Doug Deming and the Jewel Tones are the "real deal" when it comes to this style of music - how wonderful to play with a band that doesn't need VOLUME to groove!

Enjoy this short sample of the music we created just last Saturday night...

----------
The Iceman
StalwartJohnson
51 posts
Nov 18, 2019
7:39 AM
Loving your tone and patience in this clip. Sometimes I hear harmonica playing that embodies what I'm after. This is one of those times. Thanks for posting.
Pickn5
63 posts
Nov 18, 2019
8:39 AM
That was great! Thanks for sharing.
----------
Jeff B

Just enjoying the music journey.
The Iceman
3959 posts
Nov 18, 2019
8:44 AM
Stalwart - sometimes the patience is because I truly don't know what I'm going to play next (in advance) - unless it is a cover like "Whammer Jammer" or "Juke"....it takes a moment for an idea to occur to me....living "on the edge" in real time is pretty cool.

I learned a lot from studying how Miles Davis approached the art of real time improvisation - by listening to his solos and reading interviews in which he talks about improv..
----------
The Iceman
87 posts
Nov 18, 2019
8:47 AM
Great example of how less is more. Liked how the sax player sat out and did not step on you. A sign of true professional musicianship. --99
The Iceman
3960 posts
Nov 18, 2019
9:04 AM
99 - great observation - I totally enjoyed the sax player and during the evening, joined him on simple fills between vocals, did a little harmony fill with him, a bit o' call/response, etc. The whole band is full of real pros!
----------
The Iceman
harpoon_man
273 posts
Nov 19, 2019
10:43 AM
Nice musical lines here, Iceman! Gives me some ideas for further study. It must have been a blast playing with Doug and the band.
SuperBee
6306 posts
Nov 19, 2019
3:07 PM
It’s good to hear your playing, Iceman.
Thank you for posting this.
Moon Cat
788 posts
Nov 20, 2019
8:59 AM
NICE Larry, Killer turnaround on the V also!!!!!!! Great T-Bone impression by Doug too! Applause to all!
----------
www.mooncat.org

Last Edited by Moon Cat on Nov 20, 2019 9:00 AM
The Iceman
3963 posts
Nov 20, 2019
9:19 AM
Jason - I love it when musicians talk musician stuff with each other! It's the V turnaround that, I believe, is the least explored territory by most blues harmonica players - especially using all the notes available - played AS NOTES - available in the 2 and 3 hole inhales.

kudos to his sax player - we had fun locking in with sparse back up lines between vocal lines - at first unison, and then two part harmonies, but never getting in the way of vocals nor solos.
wheel
655 posts
Nov 21, 2019
12:39 PM
I really enjoyed it. Very musical
----------
Konstantin Kolesnichenko(Ukraine)
http://kolesnichenko-harmonica.com/
ted burke
787 posts
Nov 29, 2019
10:55 PM
not bad at all. :)
----------
www.ted-burke.com

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS