Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Treble
Treble
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

Martin
1530 posts
Feb 23, 2019
5:31 AM
Treble, trebliness, the harsh sound of un-equalized harmonica, especially in the upper register, is a thing many of us try most decidedly to avoid, generally by the simple measure of turning the treble/tone knob back.
At times this has caused me an unwanted effect, namely that you don´t hear the upper register. Since I´m one of those who tend to use the upper octave quite a bit this has occasionally annoyed me, and it happened just the other day when I played on a borrowed amp.

Is this something you guys adress -- if you are at all familiar with it -- with EQ-pedals etc?
I have a Boss parametric, but frankly, I hate to fiddle with it (gives me a headache), so it mostly stays at home; in cases there are jams and I´m invited to sit in and the PA sounds substandard (although some PA´s can sound just lovely) I bow out rather than plague myself and the audience.

To a certain extent these things can be controlled with cupping technique and so on -- but not always, in my experience.

Last Edited by Martin on Feb 23, 2019 5:33 AM
TetonJohn
336 posts
Feb 23, 2019
8:00 AM
Lone Wolf Harp Tone+ for non-harp amps -- makes all the difference IMO.
Edit: Example - Princeton Reverb tone knobs are usable (most folks say bass=10, treble=0, not so w/tone+

Last Edited by TetonJohn on Feb 23, 2019 8:02 AM
dougharps
1912 posts
Feb 23, 2019
10:14 AM
I start with the amp or PA treble down and adjust upward until I hear the high end as much as I would like. Occasionally I may have to tweak it during performance.

I have a parametric eq pedal and have used it in the past with a specific amp of mine, but have not been using it for quite a while. The specific amp had too much treble and I would cut it with the pedal. After a speaker replacement the amp's tone control range was OK for harp.

When sitting in I often use my EHX 44 Magnum / Lil Buddy rig. At times when playing I will flip the bright switch on if the highs seem to need a boost.

You could set up your pedal to enhance highs and turn it on only when you need more highs.
----------

Doug S.
Martin
1531 posts
Feb 24, 2019
9:49 AM
@dougharps: Yes, that could be one way of going about. Problem is that I use the upper register pretty much all the time. But I guess I´ll just have take myself to school and learn how to use the EQ pedal -- if it should be used at all.

@TetonJohn: The LW stuff is rather pricey (at least here in Europe) but I´ll keep the Harp Tone in mind. (Saw a couple of videos where it was used and they made a case for it.)

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS