Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Bugera Vintage V5 Amp
Bugera Vintage V5 Amp
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

jpmcbride
205 posts
Jan 12, 2019
10:32 PM
Somehow I was not aware of these amps until I walked into Sam Ash Music today and saw a used one. It followed me home :-)

This is a 5W tube amp, with an 8 ohm speaker, and built in reverb. It has separate GAIN and VOLUME controls so you can dial in the amount of distortion you want. Another nice feature is a built-in attenuator so you can run it at 5W, 1W, or 0.1W. The 1W setting is perfect for home playing.

This is a really nice sounding amp. With separate gain and volume controls, I can dial in the amount of distortion I want, and can match whatever mic I'm using. I'm getting nice breakup, and the amp is very sensitive to harp technique. I like it! The built-in reverb sounds realistic and eliminates the need for an external pedal.

This is the ONLY amp I've ever owned that I didn't feel the need to modify for harp. It has a 12AX7 preamp tube which I would normally change to a lower gain 12AT7 or 12AU7 to reduce feedback. But I'm getting no feedback and it sounds great. I often change capacitors to get better bass response. I don't hear the need to do this on this amp. I like the sound exactly as it is.

I did one small mod to it, which is not specifically harp related. I added a line out. I did the it my usual way with two resistors across the speaker, and of course a small cap across the lower resistor to cut the high frequencies. I'm hoping to use it at band practice so I don't have to lug my heavy Fender Deluxe. Hopefully I can use the line out to go into the PA and have enough volume.

Overall this is a great amp and really inexpensive. Sweetwater and MF have them for $199 new. I got mine used for $119.

----------
Jim McBride
Bottle 'O Blues microphones
www.bottleoblues.com
SuperBee
5751 posts
Jan 12, 2019
11:57 PM
Sounds good. I think I’ve seen a few others here praise that unit.

There is a real practical niche for these sorts of amps.

I was musing today on the 2nd amp I ever bought, which seems largely unloved in the harp world but is very much loved by me. It’s the very uncool Vibro Champ XD. Mostly what I like about it are the same things you mentioned, except it doesn’t have a 1 watt/0.1 watt option. But the capacity to turn up gain/decrease volume and vice versa is almost as good, and the useable DSP effects are fine for these low volume cafe gigs.
jpmcbride
206 posts
Jan 13, 2019
8:30 PM
@SuperBee
If it sounds good, play it. Being uncool is cool these days :-)

----------
Jim McBride
Bottle 'O Blues microphones
www.bottleoblues.com
gvkinney2002
1 post
Feb 26, 2019
3:13 PM
I have one. To really make it sing a warehouse guitar 8 inch speaker replacement. The speaker is actually 4 ohm not 8 ohm in the stock amp.. switch each tube for Millard reissue el84 and 12ax7. Quantum improvement in sound, tone, and speaker efficiency and breakup. The new speaker has a magnet twice the size as stock. Total $75 dollars for all upgrades.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS