beginner forum: for novice and developing blues harp players > Ear Training
Ear Training
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

johan d
55 posts
Mar 03, 2017
4:27 AM
As I sometimes read about ear training on this forum, may I suggest an app were you can train your relative pitch. It lets you hear a 145 (or some others if prefered) progressions and after that a tone. You have to listen if it's a 2nd, 5th5 b7th, etc...
Very addictive and fun too. (also available for iPhone)

Functional Ear Trainer (Adroid)

It's free! Also available, a payed version which adds differenent instruments (default is Grand piano) and melodic dictations. But the free one will do fine.

About the author and some articles

Last Edited by johan d on Mar 03, 2017 4:37 AM
Killa_Hertz
2252 posts
Mar 03, 2017
5:30 AM
Sounds very cool. I will give it a try. Thanks.

One thing I definitely don't do enough is comparing my intonation against a time generator or keyboard. I really should do it more often.
Havoc
51 posts
Mar 04, 2017
6:43 PM
Awesome and addictive!
----------
If you don't cut it while it's hot......
MindTheGap
2192 posts
Mar 05, 2017
7:24 AM
That really is good, thank you!
johan d
56 posts
Mar 06, 2017
1:55 AM
Don't go over it too quickly... It can take a few years to get it down! :-)
Major and Minor, with all chromatics, 10-15 minutes/day.

Last Edited by johan d on Mar 06, 2017 1:58 AM
Tank
12 posts
Oct 18, 2017
5:44 PM
As a professional musician, the best advice I can ever give to anyone is to write out a list of songs that you'll never forget, a list of songs that start with all the intervals of a Major scale. For example, Amazing Grace starts with a perfect 4th in the melody, the old Elvis son "I can't help falling in love with you" starts with a perfect 5th. It's a "tool" that I've both used and taught for decades, and it works really well.
SuperBee
5041 posts
Oct 18, 2017
7:22 PM
Thanks Tank. I’m trying to be sure I understand what you’re saying here

Are you saying the interval between the 1st and 2nd note of amazing grace is a perfect 4th?

I’m looking it up and I see some script in F# shows the first note is C#, below the second note F#

In F# the interval from F# to C# is a 5th, but rising from C# to F# is a 4th, yes?

I see Can’t help falling in love in D (2 sharps) begins on D and 2nd note is A, and this is an interval of a 5th

Am I correct here or barking up the wrong tree?

Last Edited by SuperBee on Oct 18, 2017 7:23 PM

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS