Blues Jams forum: > Mojo Blues Jam, Copenhagen?
Mojo Blues Jam, Copenhagen?
harmonica-friendly jam sessions
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

598 posts
Feb 25, 2016
2:40 AM
So I'll be in Copenhagen for work next week, and might have a chance to drop into the blues jam on Thursday night.

Has anyone been there and can share any views - harp friendly? Standard? Crowded?

I'm at a reasonable weekend warrior level for vocals and harp so should be ok unless it's serious pro standard. I won't have an amp so would be good to know if there might be a spare one to plug in to.

Thanks in advance
599 posts
Mar 08, 2016
2:28 AM
Well I can now answer my own question as to harp-friendliness, which is "not especially"

There was a bullet plugged into the p.a., but difficult to get a decent sound even with mids maxed. No monitors either. Perhaps could have been better if I'd swapped with my GB. Was difficult to play as I'm not a disciplined enough player to nail my phrasing and intonation when I can't hear myself properly.

On the night the standard was good, very guitar-orientated, and a bit rock star at times, with plenty of Jimi Hendrix style playing and covers. Especially impressed with the standard of singing - feel and nuance in a 2nd language - which was overall much higher than the local UK scene I'm used to.

Less impressed was the attitude towards harp players from some guitarists and band leaders. I was asked to join the last song of a set (I think as I was being continually bumped down the list by the jam-meister's friends) who then played a song without offering even one solo to me... while giving himself two. I've never come across that behaviour in 20 years of blues jams. Speaking with a couple of harp players there this was standard at this jam.

Still, I enjoyed the overall musicianship, my set, and it's a good bar with a large crowd. Worth checking out if you're in downtown Copenhagen on a Thursday night.

Last Edited by GamblersHand on Mar 08, 2016 2:28 AM
1 post
Apr 17, 2016
6:14 PM
Let me know if you come back - my band jams in the studio on thursdays :)

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS