Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Wooden Harp Covers or Suzie Pure Harp?
Wooden Harp Covers or Suzie Pure Harp?
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

3 posts
Oct 14, 2010
1:43 PM
Hi, So I really want to get a proper wood harp happening and obviously the ideal solution would be if anyone knows someone other than Brodur who makes replacement wooden cover plates?

If not does anyone own a Suzuki Pure who really likes it?
Miles Dewar
473 posts
Oct 14, 2010
2:49 PM

You cain't get none of them fancy wood cover-majiggies 'round these parts. You need to go to Aimish Country. They'll fashion one or two up for ya nice right. Figure it only 'bout take yer a few days on foot.......
2996 posts
Oct 14, 2010
3:26 PM
I looked through the list of customizers and didn't see any others. In fact, I think aside from opening up the backs there was only one customizer who indicated they did anything to the covers at all (Bluexlab seems to anodize the covers.) Covers are a lot more complicated shape than combs are. Aside from material and some rounding and flattening only a few comb makers seem to make any radical changes even to the shape of combs, let alone take on a shape as complicated as a cover.

You could always take up whittling. Imagine sitting out on the front porch whittling a new harp cover. I can't think of anything more blues!

Someone (it might have been Tod Parrot?) was asking around, I think on behalf of a friend, if there was enough interest in custom covers to make investing in the equipment worthwhile. I don't know if they were thinking of just metal combs or not.

I don't know if a veneer would stay on. There is a site selling plastic promotional harps. They also sell laser printed wood veneers, but I don't know if they combine the two though. Maybe with a lacquer finish on it it might work.

(It looks like they put them on some wood instruments, including a whistle, and on a tin can.)

(For a list of customizers, click on the 'Thread Organizer' link in my signature and click on customizers.

There is a guy in this Slidemeister thread who says he does it (about half-way down the page.) He seems to do it for chroms, but maybe he could do a diatonic.

Thread Organizer

Last Edited by on Oct 14, 2010 4:28 PM
712 posts
Oct 14, 2010
3:28 PM
I love Suzuki harps in general. I have a set of Hammonds, a set of Firebreaths, a set of Promasters, a Fabulous in C and a Pure Harp in C. My LEAST favorite is the Pure Harp. It's a Firebreath with rosewood covers and I don't like the covers. They don't slide on your lips as easily or smoothly as metal covers and they seem to have a duller tone. And the Pure Harp is expensive. FWIW.
417 posts
Oct 14, 2010
4:12 PM
i like my Pure, in G. it's not near as loud as other suzukis i've played but has a very sweet and warm tone. not a harp to be wailing triple time on, it's more for a slower sweeter application.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS