Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > chicago charlie
chicago charlie
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

groyster1
121 posts
Jun 16, 2010
11:21 AM
about 25 years ago there was a harp player in heard play regularly in a dive in hillsboro village in nashville he fronted a band called the businessmen and went by chicago charlie and his name was charlie fink and seemed to be very influenced by sonny boy williamson II has anybody out there heard of him and does he still play

Last Edited by on Oct 09, 2011 10:37 AM
jrton80
1 post
Oct 04, 2010
9:05 AM
I just joined the forum and saw your thread. Charlie does still play in the Nashville area but he lives South of Nashville. Good catch on his influence as he grew up in Chicago and actually learned Sonny Boy as well as Little Walter and many other greats from the Chicago area. His band the Businessmen still play around the area. His guitarist (Stan Hedges) recorded an album entitles "Two Mule Parade" so I think the Businessmen is on the back burner. Another group I hear that share the stage at times is the Mighty Rib Bone. If you search Chicago Charlie in facebook you will be able to see more of Charlie's background but he doesn't update the site with appearances. Hope this helps a little.
Stan The Man
1 post
Dec 20, 2010
11:09 AM
Hey Guys, Wanted to let groyster1 know that my brother in-law Chicago Charlie Fink is still playing. We both live in a small town south west of Nashville called Centerville, TN. We venture out to play Festivals and The Winery Circuit from time to time. Our home away from home is local "The Grinders Switch Winery" where we play a lot. As Groyster1 said Charlie is the real deal. he learned in the back alleys in Chicago from the greats like Carey Bell, and Big Walter Horton. Charlie is one of the few players I've ever heard that not only has mastered the Little Walter style, but also the Sonny Boy Williamson II (Rice Miller) style. Thus we have played at The King Biscuit Festival many times, because his style is so similar to Sonny Boy's. When we play out we use the name "The Mighty Rib-Bones, because evidently some band in Atlanta has had "The Businessmen" name registered for a while, so we changed. The band consists of Dave Agerholm on drums and Jeff Offutt on Bass and vocals, me-Stan The Man Hedges on vocals and Guitar, and Charlie on harp and vocals. I just recorded a solo project called "Two Mule Parade" which has wonderful Chicago Charlie harp all over it. Any one wanting to reach Charlie can email me at hedges_stan@msn.com otherwise it's hard to reach Charlie, because his number is unlisted, and I have been asked not to give it out. But rest assured Charlie is still one of the Top 10 harp players in the blues world in my opinion. I've played gigs with Charlie, with Charlie Musselwhite and James Cotten in the audience with their jaws hanging down in amazement. He is truly that great. Also a hell of a human being, whom I'm proud to call my brother.
groyster1
594 posts
Dec 20, 2010
11:45 AM
I remember you too stan the man and charlie used to blow me away with his playing in hillsboro village he really could duplicate rice miller note for note
Firehouse
6 posts
Dec 20, 2010
5:34 PM
Stan im not too far away , i live outside knoxville..i would love to make the trip over and see you guys play as SB williamson II is my FAV. Is there a site or page i could get your show schedule?
----------
Matt Freshour
groyster1
597 posts
Dec 21, 2010
7:42 AM
would love to members of this forum hear charlie play they would be impressed I think he backed homesick james for a while
groyster1
1480 posts
Oct 09, 2011
10:39 AM
did charlie play @ the king biscuit festival?this forum might be really impressed with charlies harp blowin`
groyster1
1995 posts
Sep 01, 2012
2:18 PM
charlie is listed as one of the performers at mid point festival in fairview tennessee....he comes to play....very strong harp blower
tmf714
1224 posts
Sep 01, 2012
2:41 PM
Steamrollin Stan
542 posts
Sep 01, 2012
3:00 PM
I'm saving this to fav's.
groyster1
2002 posts
Sep 03, 2012
6:30 AM
pretty fair triplet run on help me

Post a Message
Guest Name

(4096 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.