Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Astatic 335H-7 microphone
Astatic 335H-7 microphone
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

jpmcbride
200 posts
Jan 06, 2019
10:09 AM
The Astatic 335H-7 mic - I love these things, have two of them, and they've become my main mic for gigging. They have a bright sound which I prefer (not muddy at all). And the small size and shape make them very easy to hold. The square profile fits your hands well. I cut the cable and put a Switchcraft female 1/4" plug on the end so they can be used with any guitar cable. I love these little mics!

My question for the vintage mic experts is about the different versions. Both of mine are 335H-7. But I've seen 335H and other numbers. I tried searching and can't find any info on the differences between the different models. Does anyone know about these mics or can point me toward some info on them?

Thanks,

----------
Jim McBride
Bottle 'O Blues microphones
www.bottleoblues.com
Harpaholic
927 posts
Jan 06, 2019
12:50 PM
It's been more than a decade since I owned any of that type, but If I'm not mistaking they made them with Dynamic and Crystal/Ceramic elements using different model numbers.

I had a few that came in some mic lots that I bought. IMO, the 7 designation doesn't exist, if it does exist, it probably came with a stand and is physically identical to the 335H
I do know the H is hi Z.

Last Edited by Harpaholic on Jan 07, 2019 1:02 PM
jbone
2798 posts
Jan 06, 2019
4:31 PM
I have a 335H with very low response level. I suspect it may be a crystal and has gone bad. I got it for the look too! Art Deco baby. I'm not sure if or when I will ever be able to find an element to fit it for what I can afford but I'd love to have it out there at gigs.
----------
Music and travel destroy prejudice.

Reverbnation

Facebook

Youtube
ME.HarpDoc
347 posts
Jan 06, 2019
5:36 PM
Try contacting Dennis Gruenling at badassharmonicas.com. He has hundreds of vintage harmonicas
jpmcbride
201 posts
Jan 06, 2019
9:36 PM
@Harpaholic, Yes the 335H-7 does exist, I have two of them. You can get them with 335H or with 335H-7 stamped in the metal on them. Further research says that the 335H is high impedance dynamic, and the 335H-7 is high impedance ceramic. Some sound samples I heard on Youtube support this.

I just bought a 335H and when it arrives I'll sound test it against the 335H-7 to see how they're different.

----------
Jim McBride
www.bottleoblues.com
Harpaholic
928 posts
Jan 07, 2019
12:40 PM
I believe you Jim, but according to the 1975 Astatic catalog the 335 was only available as a dynamic.

There is one currently on eBay stamped 335H-46. There's a 335H-34 on an image search I did and a 335H-17 on Reverb.
It appears to be a manufacturer code??

http://www.preservationsound.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Astatic_Catalog_197.pdf

Last Edited by Harpaholic on Jan 07, 2019 1:05 PM
jpmcbride
202 posts
Jan 07, 2019
10:18 PM
@harpaholic

I thought about the -7 being a manufacturing code, but you find the -7s all the time. If it were a date code or similar the numbers would be more randomly distributed.

I have an old Astatic catalog and as you say, it shows the 335H as a dynamic. And no mention of a -7 version.

But, it really sounds like a ceramic or crystal. I bought a 335H and I'll sound check it against my 335H-7 when it gets here.

----------
Jim McBride
www.bottleoblues.com

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS