Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > effects pedals
effects pedals
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

geordiebluesman
402 posts
Jun 04, 2011
6:59 AM
Hi guys, i am in the process of putting a perfoming and busking rig together and am looking at pedals, i am interested in the Lone Wolf Harpbreak pedal but it is £117.00 in the uk which is a lot of cash to me.
I have found another pedal called the Danelectro Fab Overdrive which is only £30.00 and i was wondering if anyone has experience of either of the above.
I am after a real gritty aggresive overdriven sound and i feel like i am past halfway there so any help here would be great. Cheers Geordie.
hvyj
1419 posts
Jun 04, 2011
7:11 AM
Try the ART Tube MP. It's not a pedal but a very compact preamp. EXTREMELY harp friendly and very inexpensive.
Oxharp
437 posts
Jun 04, 2011
8:01 AM
Hi Geordie,
I would not buy a Fab Overdrive they are cheap and sound real nasty (wasp in a jar).
Are you are looking for an overdrive sound or something that breaks up your amp sound at low volumes?

The Lone Wolf HarpBreak will do that for you and I think its worth the money but ask your self a question.

Do you really need it as you can get alot of natural break up in your playing with good technique.

I searched long and hard for the overdrive sound and have tried at my expense lots of pedals that give good overdrive for harp and was dissapointed with the market choice.

I have a LW HB and have found it a good choice with small tube amps and solid state amps(Marble Max, Blues Junior) but not so good with the 4x10 tube amps (Bassman and Sonny)

Though I have heard that its quite good in a Pedal friendly HG50 but after 4 years of playing developing, I can get all the break up overdive I need from learning to play (dirty)in the first place.

If I was you I would go with your harps and a set of good quality headphones into a music shop.

Most of them have a pedal boards on the wall with loads of pedals to try so you can get an idea of what sounds you are after. Thats what I did and I learnt alot about whats good for guitar can be good for harp but in the main I would say most are not good for harp.

The Pedals I have settled on are:

Boss DD3 delay - recommended by Adam in an early vid
I would like to try an Analogue delay.

Boss RV5 reverb - great pedal for chrom and slow blues.
I would like to try the holy grail

LW Harp break - Great for small amps better on solid state amps IMHO - I tried a LW Harp attack but did not get on with the processed sound so sold it.

Micro pog - got this for fun and its great for playing in F an octave down as a Low F is can be hard to get heard on the band stand if the band is loud.
Tried a Boss OC2 but was dissapointed with its tracking.

If you pay for postage both ways I can send my Harpbreak up to you to try for a month or so?

I cant say fairer than that from one Geordie to another.

Cheers

Russ

----------
Oxharp

Last Edited by on Jun 04, 2011 8:05 AM
geordiebluesman
404 posts
Jun 04, 2011
8:25 AM
Hey Russ, that's a really kind offer mate! i would be really chuffed to do that if you post it up to me i will pay you the cost i did something similar last year with a guy in ireland and payed his postage through Paypal, he set that up though cos i am a bit of a luddite!.
Why don't you Email me off the forum and we can try and sort something out.
Thanks again Geordie.
Oxharp
438 posts
Jun 04, 2011
9:16 AM
Geordie,

Click on my profile in the left hand column of this post and you will find my email.

Drop me a line and then I will have yours.

Cant find yours

Cheers

Russ
----------
Oxharp
nacoran
4167 posts
Jun 04, 2011
9:40 AM
I don't know one pedal from the next, but the other day I played into my little Park amp using a Bose DS-1 guitar distortion pedal and a Shure SM58 mic and I really really liked the sound.

----------
Nate
Facebook
Thread Organizer (A list of all sorts of useful threads)

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons