Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Effects for Harp on Rackers?
Effects for Harp on Rackers?
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

VulpesVulpes
1 post
Apr 03, 2019
8:46 PM
Hi Guys,

I am the frontman in a band and I sing and play guitar and harp on a rack. I currently just blow the harp into the vocal mic which is ok but as you know those C harps in second position can get a bit shrill and the harp in general can get a bit thin and lost. I'm just wondering what other guys do in terms of effects? I've thought about bringing a second stand and mic and plugging into a guitar amp and then switching stands and mics when I blow the harp. Another option is an effects pedal like the mic mechanic or Boss VE1 which I add to the vocal mic and click on for harp solos. I'm not really interested in having one of those rackits in front of my face and singing into that. I don't really need a distorted Chicago sound, I'm thinking some delay/reverb and maybe a subtle double or chorus effect to fill out the sound and a tone or EQ to tame that C harp. Anyone else in the same position?

thanks
jbone
2880 posts
Apr 04, 2019
3:50 AM
There are a lot of opinions and experience here. Myself being a harp player/singer "only" I have no direct experience. BUT being around live amped blues for going on 3 decades I have seen some things.
The one big thing that comes to mind is a guy from east Texas named Bobby Mercy Oliver. Singer, guitarist, harp player. Truth is I don't recall what amp he used but possibly a Fender Twin. 2 channels, one was guitar and one was a green bullet. He sang and blew harp through the bullet in channel 2 and played guitar in channel 1. He made it work. Food for thought.

Hope you stick around!
----------
Music and travel destroy prejudice.

Reverbnation

Facebook

Youtube
snowman
431 posts
Apr 04, 2019
9:28 AM
Hi, Been playin with rack since about 1978. Mostly as solo straight into singing mic, into PA-no effects other than reverb.

When Playing with a band – with rack ---into vocal mic—into PA –no effects accept reverb----I have had the same problem—lost in the shuffle 0f loud guitar players –if u turn up yr vocal mic to hear harp better [feedback]

I was going to get or build a rack mounted mic, so I could use effects and go to into an amp, then to PA via mic it or line out—
The one I made sounded fine but had 2 negative things
1] couldn’t change harp keys quickly
2] couldn’t see my tablet over it [ 250 song chords and lyrics in it]
As solo I take requests ,to increase tips--- sometimes I need to refer to tablet as quick reminder

There are 2 sytems I found. That I would like to try -to mic my rack-
1] http://www.blowsmeaway.com/rackit.html

2] https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1600391175/dyna-mic-a-microphone-like-no-other

I highly suggest going thru an amp—with one of the mic’s above--then mic or line out---I think they are both available Hi Z, so u can go straight into guitar amp.

Why :
To hear yourself over a band while using rack- u definitely need a designated mic for harp on the rack—preferably somewhat sealed [as if u were cupping]—granted, u don’t care about Chicago tone—but bands inevitably get louder as night goes on---u need to isolate the harp volume as much as is possible from the stage noise----
VERY DIFFICULT through open vocal mic-----use it for singing only

Possible scenario
1] The rack it with bulletini “hi Z” mic [somewhat seled and isolated To;

2] Lone wolf “harp tone +” or “Boss GE7 Equalizer” for volume control and shape the tone –
-as well as control volume to next pedals and or amp
Yr right u need some kind of equalizer to help weed out feedback frequencies
https://www.lonewolfblues.com/tone.html

for GE 7---[scroll down to snowman]
http://www.modernbluesharmonica.com/board/board_topic/5560960/5498651.htm

3] Lone wolf “HarpShield”---basically a gate tuned to harp frequencies---
To stretch out volume louder [for feedback]
there are a million different feedback deals research and pick one

4] optional dirt pedal—Lone wolf “harp Attack” or “Harp Break”
I have both think I prefer Harp break even though its cheaper

Or 4] Lone wolf “harp delay” get it set up for slap back to thicken the sound
---once a harp player gets use to delay u never go without-sounds so thin w/out

Simplified option for straight to
PA-[the 1/4" Hi Z in]

1] separate mic from vocals on rack or otherwise---preferably on rack,

2] Boss GE7 equalizer [Play with it] for tone and help prevent feedback

3] feedback pedal or not

4] delay try yr guitar delay you’ll see how much thicker it sounds
E mail “blows me away” and or “lone wolf” for more suggestions
hope this helps
Komuso
810 posts
Apr 04, 2019
5:28 PM
I reviewed this recently

The rack still needs a few tweaks but Mitch is working on them, and its design leaves you with a lot more visibility than the usual rack/mic combos (which are all great sounding, I'm mainly referring to my setup as I do in the video).

Effects wise, if you have no need to replicate the chicago sound and want a bunch in one pedal, I'd just use a Zoom MS70CDR. This is a stereo out, so you could get a great sound by hooking that direct to the PA stereo wise, though you may need to plug it into a DI box with stereo out first. That would certainly give you a big sound canvas to experiment with, though that would obviously depend on the venue's PA setup.

----------
Paul Cohen aka Komuso Tokugawa
HarpNinja - Learn Harmonica Faster
Komuso's Music Website

Last Edited by Komuso on Apr 04, 2019 5:36 PM
VulpesVulpes
2 posts
Apr 05, 2019
2:40 AM
Thanks Guys for all your suggestions, I appreciate it.
Komuso
811 posts
Apr 14, 2019
2:07 PM
Here's a little live jam I just did using a lot of Reverb on the rack harp:

----------
Paul Cohen aka Komuso Tokugawa
HarpNinja - Learn Harmonica Faster
Komuso's Music Website
groyster1
3347 posts
Apr 18, 2019
5:41 AM
not a proficient guitar player never play with rack.....but much rather play through a PA than a bullet mic,which I did last night....it takes away your hands
bluzmn
117 posts
Apr 19, 2019
6:22 AM
Your best bet would be a Strnad mic, but they are no longer being produced; I had to look long and hard to find one (actually I found 2 - 1 with volume control and 1 without). But now someone has made a "reissue", the Tsunami. I got one of those from Rockin' Ron. I put the word reissue in quotes because it uses a different element from the Strnad, but since you don't want a distorted "Chicago" sound, it doesn't matter. If you do ever decide you want some distortion, you could plug the Tsunami into a Harp Attack or Harp Break. Maybe I should start another thread about how to get a decent distorted "Chicago" sound out of a Strnad through an amp (and and not quite as good with a Tsunami); it's a little complicated.

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS