Thievin' Heathen
1073 posts
Oct 26, 2018
5:24 PM
ted burke
728 posts
Oct 27, 2018
11:10 AM
Tony Joe White was a natural, a blend of blues, country, swamp rock and soul, rootsy, funky, authentic. He was a solid musician, a fine guitarist, effective harmonica player, and he was possessed of a deep, resonant growl of a voice that drew you right into his tales. RIP
----------
www.ted-burke.com
waltertore
3038 posts
Oct 27, 2018
3:58 PM
Tony Joe White was a wonderful person. I got to play with him, Neil Young, Waylon Jennings, at a benefit concert for the tornado victims of Jarrel, TX. Tony organized the event. He was humble, soft spoken, yet was a regarded as a superstar among many superstars. I wonder why he never made it bigger than he did? Walter
----------
walter tore's spontobeat - a real one man band and over 1 million spontaneously created songs and growing. I record about 300 full length cds a year in the Tunnel of Dreams Studio.
" life is a daring adventure or nothing at all" - helen keller

Smiling With Hope Pizza-pizza with a social cause

my videos

DanP
402 posts
Oct 27, 2018
7:58 PM
Tony Joe White wrote Rainy Night in Georgia, a great song recorded by Brook Benton, Ray Charles, Otis Rush, Little Milton, Johnny Rivers and tons of other people.
BnT
213 posts
Oct 31, 2018
10:59 AM
I went to Fillmore Auditorium in August 1969 to interview both Jr. Walker and Tony Joe White, the latter a story assignment from Rolling Stone.

Tony opened for Lee Michaels (who opened for Junior Walker) so we had a lot of time to talk before his 2nd set. Somewhere during the interview and our discussion of music I mentioned I played harp, but there was no playing.

When he began his second set Tony said, "Right now I want to bring up a harmonica player from Rolling Stone..." This was nothing ever discussed or expected, but I went on stage to play with Tony's "band" - Tony Joe, drums and Hammond B-3. While that interview never became ink, it was etched in my mind.

I never saw him again but have always been grateful for his random act of kindness; providing an opportunity to a young, untested musician on a night I expected would be all about him. R.I.P. Tony Joe White, and thank you again.
----------
BnT
BeePee
131 posts
Nov 01, 2018
10:38 AM
Thanks for posting Thievin Heathen. Sad news indeed. Polk Salad Annie made a huge impression on me when I first heard it a long time ago in far off New Zealand. RIP Tony Joe.
groyster1
3273 posts
Nov 02, 2018
7:01 AM
rainy night in georgia is timeless.....composed by tony joe.........
Thievin' Heathen
1076 posts
Nov 09, 2018
8:10 PM
Gareth
43 posts
Nov 10, 2018
2:02 AM
Wonderful stuff Theivin'. Just so uncluttered and soulful - less is deffinitely more. He's a great loss.
----------
Harpeaux Edwards
nowmon
191 posts
Nov 10, 2018
7:35 AM
Chomp-chomp, the gator got your granny, that was it for me.....
tomaxe
143 posts
Nov 13, 2018
10:27 AM
Don't forget "Willie and Laura Mae Jones".

tomaxe
144 posts
Nov 13, 2018
10:29 AM
Oh...and GREAT story, BnT

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.

blues harmonica riffs - harmonica tabs - learn harmonica - play harmonica

play harmonica easily - harp tabs for beginners - blues harmonica lessons

ADAM GUSSOW is an official endorser for HOHNER HARMONICAS