Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Hy·Po·Thet·i·Cal <QUESTION >for the hell of it :)
Hy·Po·Thet·i·Cal <QUESTION >for the hell of it :)
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

Frank
2695 posts
Sep 04, 2013
8:16 AM
First we all agree that, all the different embouchures used to execute harmonica techniques are important for a harmonica players skill ability to be utilized to its fullest potential.

Also, we all could agree that regardless of the various manufacturers of harmonicas to choose from - they all have at least 1, if not many excellent products to choose from.

With those facts behind us -

Can we play a little hypothetical game - strictly for shits and giggles - please - do not take this "game" as an empirical study. These questions are not to be taken seriously...only for fun analysis.

This game is meant to be extremely simple.

Answer 2 questions, with both to receive only 1 answer.

Okay enough suspense, here goes :)

The Hypothetical Is...Your at the crossroads and Mr. Devil shows up of course.

He tells you - that you must choose only 1 embouchure to play the harmonica with for the rest of your life.... and once that choice is made - none of the other embouchures will ever again be accessible for you to use.

You are forever officially stuck with using that 1 embouchure for the rest of your life.

((((Which embouchure would you choose?)))

Next the Devil - informs you that you can only pick one manufactures harmonicas to use for the rest of your life. Once you choose - you will never again have access to any other brands of harmonica to play.

(((Which manufacturer would you choose?)))

Last Edited by Frank on Sep 04, 2013 8:19 AM
rogonzab
378 posts
Sep 04, 2013
8:20 AM
LOL Frank!

1- TB (all the player that I like use it)

2- Hohner (MB for ever)
nacoran
7098 posts
Sep 04, 2013
8:25 AM
TB, although I use LP more. I just couldn't live without splits.

Seydel.

Okay, so we are at the crossroads, getting this bargain... what do we win?

----------
Nate
Facebook
Thread Organizer (A list of all sorts of useful threads)
orphan
292 posts
Sep 04, 2013
8:33 AM
I would tell Mr. Devil to go to Hell and continue down my road; after looking both ways of course!
----------
nacoran
7100 posts
Sep 04, 2013
8:47 AM
(The) Devil Always Wins
F# (B crossharp) (12 Bar)
(C) Nathan Smith 2012

I went down to the crossroads
Down in Mississippi
Line about a mile long
To bet their souls with me

Some boys brought their fiddles
Some brought their guitars
Only one who gave me trouble
Was the one who brought his harp

He kept it in a pocket
In a pair of well worn jeans
He smiled when he whipped it out
But his stare was cold and mean

(harp)

I blew out Little Walter
I blew out Sonny Boy
I blew out my best Cotton
My set list set to destroy

I played Oh Suzanna backwards
I copied Magic Dick
But he destroyed my Whammer Jammer
With each and every lick

He played like a hoary devil
Like he owned the Delt'
He only ever slowed it down
Was when his reeds started to melt

(harp)

I knew I should be worried
About this little pup
He held a note for 43 minutes
64th notes to warm up

And so I stood there, panting
My lips had gone bone dry
I had no words or notes left
I just couldn't beat this guy

He demanded my whole kingdom
And a harp of gold
But I got me the recording rights
Man, this job never gets old!!!

The Devil always wins
The Devil always wins
On harp or violin
The Devil always wins

The Devil always wins
The Devil always wins
Don't matter where or when
The Devil always wins

Again and again and again
The Devil always wins
(yeah yeah/woo!)

----------
Nate
Facebook
Philosofy
480 posts
Sep 04, 2013
8:53 AM
If the Devil gave me mastery of the embouchure, I'd tongue block, but if I was at my current level, I'd lip purse (I can't bend well TB.)

As for manufacturer, that would depend, also. If he made me the best harp player in the world, I'd pick Huang, just so you guys would scratch your head about how good someone who played Huang could be. If I'm at my current level, I'd pick Suzuki.

:)
Frank
2696 posts
Sep 04, 2013
9:00 AM
Thanks for reminding Nate and orphan...The Devil lets you continue to play the harmonica if you accept his cough, cough, humble offer...

If you refuse, sorry orphan...you are forever banned from all and anything regarding the harmonica.
HarpNinja
3430 posts
Sep 04, 2013
9:06 AM
You have to choose TB for number one. You can't play any double stops, tongue slapst, etc. otherwise. You can still play single notes, overbend, whatever...

Hohner for part two - Crossover if I have to pick a model.

***In real life, I mix TB and LP all the time. I guess I LP for most single notes and bends, but I can do them TB too. I am not nearly as good at overbends TB, though.
----------
Mantra Customized Harmonicas
My Website

Last Edited by HarpNinja on Sep 04, 2013 9:37 AM
timeistight
1344 posts
Sep 04, 2013
9:16 AM
Tongue block and Hohner, definitely. I didn't even have to think about it.
isaacullah
2489 posts
Sep 04, 2013
11:36 AM
I agree with HarpNinja's logic completely, even though I'm mainly a "lipper". With out tongue split octaves, life is pointless. ;) So, TB all the way (I'd have to practice some, though!)

As for the second, I quite honestly wouldn't much care about the brand as long as it was Hohner, Seydel, or Suzuki. As I've the most experience with Hohner, that's who I'd probably go with. If was pressed for a model, I'd pick the Special 20 and be done with it.

----------
Super Awesome!

View my videos on YouTube!
Check out my songs on Soundcloud!
Visit my reverb nation page!
Littoral
988 posts
Sep 04, 2013
11:51 AM
Another dig at the LP's. Subversive but still an attempt to relegate them to also-ran. Just mean, I say.
HarpNinja
3432 posts
Sep 04, 2013
12:00 PM
Totally a dig, even more so that he had to clarify it wasn't meant to be a dig. When someone posts something that they know will fire people up and then ask for people to handle it otherwise, that is asking way too much.

If I never TB'ed again the number of people in the world whose opinions I would even casually care about that would be upset would be 0. I am willing to go to that much of an absolute.
----------
My Website
isaacullah
2490 posts
Sep 04, 2013
12:07 PM
Actually, I change my first answer. I would choose lip pursing, and then just play an octave harp if I wanted to. :)

----------
Super Awesome!

View my videos on YouTube!
Check out my songs on Soundcloud!
Visit my reverb nation page!
Kingley
3102 posts
Sep 04, 2013
12:09 PM
I'd tell the devil to shove the harmonica right up his arse and I'd take up the triangle. I do things my way. If anyone told me I had to play a certain way or use a certain brand of harp I'd tell them to go f*** themselves!
SuperBee
1405 posts
Sep 04, 2013
1:34 PM
:-)))
I'm not much of a lipper but I'm ok with it. Tell me though, if I played a flutter, would I be lipping in the moments where I've lifted my tongue?
I'm a hohner player. Happy with that too, Devil! Do you hear?!
----------

JellyShakersFacebookPage

JellyShakersTipJar
HarpNinja
3434 posts
Sep 04, 2013
1:46 PM
Actually, I'd challenge the Devil to a face off and it'd be just like Devil Went Down to GA, but on harp. I'd LP the shit out of it too.
----------
My Website
dougharps
429 posts
Sep 04, 2013
2:34 PM
LP - I could still play chords, just not split intervals and octaves, both of which I would miss a lot. I played LP for decades and have developed my own style with LP. Overblowing a couple notes was a late addition to my playing.

If I had mastered TB speed, accuracy, bending, overbending, and corner switching I would probably pick TB, but having started late with TB, at my age I expect to continue improvement in TB, but mastery is not as likely.

Probably Hohner, though Seydel and Suzuki have good harps, too.
----------

Doug S.
Jehosaphat
532 posts
Sep 04, 2013
3:47 PM
TB
Filiskos' :-)
sonny3
29 posts
Sep 04, 2013
5:09 PM
Tb and marine band 1896
Rick Davis
2308 posts
Sep 04, 2013
5:22 PM
Since we are making a deal with the Devil, does that mean we will be selling our souls in exchange for virtuosity? Will we become masters at the embouchure we choose?

If so, I'll take TB. If not, I'll take LP.

And Hohner.

----------
-Little Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
The Mile High Blues Society
Tip Jar

Last Edited by Rick Davis on Sep 04, 2013 5:23 PM
nacoran
7101 posts
Sep 04, 2013
6:04 PM
"Actually, I'd challenge the Devil to a face off and it'd be just like Devil Went Down to GA, but on harp. I'd LP the shit out of it too." Harpninja

That's exactly what my song was about!

I always planned to make a good recording of my song, sans harmonica, and then put up a prize for the best two solos, the devil and the kid who wins the harp, but we never got a good version of it down that I felt good enough about to issue the challenge on. (Our guitar lead guitar player never found a part he liked until after our other singer left our band, (the recording we have sounds kind of like a spoof of the blues), and we always did the vocals combined to fill out the sound. I still hope to get it recorded well sometime.)

----------
Nate
Facebook
Frank
2698 posts
Sep 05, 2013
4:39 AM
Glad you guys are havin some fun with this...Keep em coming :)

All embouchures are valid to choose from - as well as brands!

No matter what you choose - your not right or wrong...

This game is meant to be extremely simple.

Answer 2 questions, with both to receive only 1 answer.

He demanded my whole kingdom
And a harp of gold
But I got me the recording rights
Man, this job never gets old!!!
Nathan Smith

Last Edited by Frank on Sep 05, 2013 4:54 AM
Frank
2705 posts
Sep 06, 2013
8:55 AM
Philosofy, I might pick huang too, I have one in D that must be 20 years old and is a keeper... put 1923 cover plates on it too...The 1923's are cool harps - this is going to be a tough decision. I've been messin with other embouchures too since the thread went up and I must say the curl tongue method has a lot going for it, I'm surprised no one has come forth and claimed that one yet, though I'm still kinda undecided at the moment also :)

Last Edited by Frank on Sep 06, 2013 8:56 AM

Post a Message
Guest Name

(8192 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.