Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > Which amp should I play through?
Which amp should I play through?
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

harpburn
51 posts
Jun 09, 2013
5:39 PM
Hi all,

So I've got a gig coming up, and the choice of an old Carlsbro 50 cabinet (no head), a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Blues Junior. I try to keep control over my band's overall volume, but sometimes things do get too loud, so the Blues Junior I'm hoping to avoid. Which of these amps are the most appealing? And if none of them are, how can they be tweaked to be more "harp friendly".

I thank you in advance.
----------
-------------
myspace.com/mightynightjars

thenightjarsblues@gmail.com
The Iceman
907 posts
Jun 09, 2013
5:58 PM
is it really your band? If so, my opinion is to CONTROL THE BAND'S VOLUME. too loud should never be an option.
----------
The Iceman
harpburn
52 posts
Jun 09, 2013
6:13 PM
I appreciate that, and I have made it clear. But they have history as rock musicians, so some of that volume will creep in at some points, and at others things swing along quietly and nicely.
----------
-------------

Rick Davis
1928 posts
Jun 09, 2013
7:19 PM
Wow, not a lot of good choices. How long until the gig?

----------
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
The Mile High Blues Society
Tip Jar
harpburn
53 posts
Jun 10, 2013
4:23 AM
Hi, Rick, the gig is on Saturday. Out of all of these, I would say the Carlsbro is a bit feedback prone, but it's punchy as hell, despite not having preamp tubes. Have you ever tried one?
----------
-------------

Last Edited by harpburn on Jun 10, 2013 4:26 AM
5F6H
1632 posts
Jun 10, 2013
4:35 AM
Of the options you list I'd go Hot Rod Deluxe, use the #2 input, if someone can rebias it to 15-20mA per tube, that might be useful, also try a 5751 in V3 next to the powe tubes.
----------
www.myspace.com/markburness

http://www.facebook.com/markburness
harpburn
54 posts
Jun 10, 2013
5:07 AM
Here is a link to the Carlsbro 50 cab I was just messin' round, apologize for the playing and recording quality, and it is a bit bright, but what do you think?

http://www.mediafire.com/?mjmnn6vt8os9z0x

@Mark what about the drive channel on the Hot Rod? On or off?

----------
-------------

Last Edited by harpburn on Jun 10, 2013 5:15 AM
5F6H
1633 posts
Jun 10, 2013
5:48 AM
Drive channel off.
----------
www.myspace.com/markburness

http://www.facebook.com/markburness
HarpNinja
3349 posts
Jun 10, 2013
7:26 AM
The PA.
----------
Mantra Customized Harmonicas
My Website
HawkeyeKane
1748 posts
Jun 10, 2013
7:39 AM
For once I'm inclined to agree with Mike on this. Seems to me your best chance at an appreciable, but well-mixed volume might be some kind of rig into the PA. Do you have any gear that might allow you to do this?
----------

Hawkeye Kane
Rick Davis
1929 posts
Jun 10, 2013
7:48 AM
Given the short time you have to prepare, here is what I would suggest in descending order:

1. Play through the PA. Step up to a vocal mic or plug in your harp mic.

2. The Fender BJr mic'ed through the PA.

3. The Fender HRD, but with lower-gain preamp tubes. The potential for feedback with a HRD on a loud stage is very high.

You don't happen to own a Kinder AFB+ pedal, do you?

UPDATE: Since you want to play through an amp I would suggest #2. If it is possible to change the preamp tube to a 5751 or 12AY7 all the better. Get the amp away from the monitors and mic it up, and hope for the best. Spend some time with the PA channel adjustments. It should work.

What mic do you use?

----------
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
Tip Jar

Last Edited by Rick Davis on Jun 10, 2013 7:52 AM
harpburn
56 posts
Jun 10, 2013
7:57 AM
No, I don't have an AFB pedal, but would definitely benefit from the investment. My mic is a Green Bullet 520DX, or Blues Blaster with ceramic similar to mc-127, which seems to be lower in volume than the Green Bullet. This is why I considered the Carlsbro 50 cab, for the power, the vol.
----------
-------------

Rick Davis
1930 posts
Jun 10, 2013
7:57 AM
harpburn, no I have never tried the Carlsbro amps or cabs. They are Marshall clones, right? Your recording sounded good. What amp were you using to drive the Carlsbro cab?

----------
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
Tip Jar
harpburn
57 posts
Jun 10, 2013
8:01 AM
Ha ha, here's the thing, I wasn't using one! Just overdriving the two power tubes in the cabinet - with single volume knob.
----------
-------------

Last Edited by harpburn on Jun 10, 2013 8:02 AM
Rick Davis
1932 posts
Jun 10, 2013
8:13 AM
Can you post a link to info about the Carlsbro cab?

----------
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
Tip Jar
HawkeyeKane
1749 posts
Jun 10, 2013
8:18 AM
Hmmmm.....so this Carlsbro is a powered extension cab, is that right? If taht's the case, I've seen a few specimens of this concept. Tech 21 makes a 60W solid state unit that I was considering a while back. And my buddy's old Valco built Gretsch 6149 can serve as a powered and reverberated extension cab as well.
----------

Hawkeye Kane
HarpNinja
3350 posts
Jun 10, 2013
8:22 AM
The correct answer is a Harp Attack or Break straight to the PA with those mics. That's what I'd do.

Otherwise, I'd just use the house 58 or 57 straight in. It has been proven over and over on this forum that gear doesn't matter, so you'll sound just as awesome straight to PA as you would with a $3,000 harp rig...so I am told.

Seriously though, be a bad ass and play straight to the PA with a dynamic mic.
----------
Mantra Customized Harmonicas
My Website
harpburn
58 posts
Jun 10, 2013
8:33 AM
It's difficult to find any info on the web, but I'm currently taking some photos of mine, if you want to examine.

@Hawkeye Kane - Powered extension, yes, I think so.
----------
-------------

Kingley
2741 posts
Jun 10, 2013
9:12 AM
I agree with Mike. Play into the PA, using a pedal if you have one. If you really must use one of those amps, then I'd follow the advice of Mark Burness.
harpburn
59 posts
Jun 11, 2013
2:19 PM
For Rick Davis: finally, at long last, I have the pics of the Carlsbro 50. It took some time because my internet practically packed in yesterday.

photo PICT0018_zps3aa1b12f.jpg

photo PICT0019_zpsda854e83.jpg

photo Speaker_zps028b3213.jpg
----------
-------------

Last Edited by harpburn on Jun 16, 2013 3:38 PM
SuperBee
1215 posts
Jun 11, 2013
3:41 PM
At least the deluxe would sound ok, before it hit feedback. They are touchy, but with drive channel off, bright off, into the number 2 input and with appropriate tone and presence settings they can be manageable. Tube subs will make it a little easier to deal with, and the later versions 2011 onwards have a milder taper on the volume pot. Some of the 'special edition' models from 2011/12 still have the earlier pot which jumps up very sharply but still manageable if you have the will to work it out. If you can rebias it as Mark suggests, all the better. They are potentially cool-sounding amps for harp, although they take a little work.
----------

Last Edited by SuperBee on Jun 11, 2013 3:45 PM
SuperBee
1216 posts
Jun 11, 2013
3:50 PM
Oh, if you are gonna be doing more than a one off, and if its an option, a little modification would make that Deluxe a seriously good sounding dedicated harp amp..at least, I think the advice 5f6h gave me re my Deville also applies to the Deluxe. I'm very happy with how the Deville turned out.
----------
Rick Davis
1938 posts
Jun 11, 2013
4:28 PM
harpburn, that powered cab is freaking cool. I have not seen that one before. But what would you drive it with if you used it this weekend? You surely would not want to try gigging with a big amp that had no tone controls at all.

I still think your best bet is to mic up the BJr, but SuperBee's confidence in the HRD is encouraging. Can you make some tube swaps before Sunday?
----------
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
Tip Jar
harpburn
61 posts
Jun 11, 2013
4:34 PM
Hi Rick,

It does have some EQ, such as mid and treb, and I can overdrive the two power tubes to distortion using the volume knob combined with my own mic volume. I do agree, however, that the Hot Rod will make a better harp amp, and I'll try to get tubes in the post ASAP, if you tell me which ones I need and where they need to go.

Thanks
----------
-------------

Rick Davis
1939 posts
Jun 11, 2013
5:05 PM
whoa, harpburn, I don't know for certain which tubes will sound best. It always ends up that you try a lot of different combinations until one sounds "right" with your microphone and your style of play.

If it were me I'd start with a 5751 in the V1 socket (the tube closest to where you plug in your microphone). You also might think about getting a small tube preamp like the ART Studio Preamp to calm things down a bit. Kim Wilson uses that with his two Hot Rod Deville amps he plays in big shows.

Hey, it's cheap!

----------
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog
Tip Jar

Last Edited by Rick Davis on Jun 11, 2013 5:07 PM
SuperBee
1217 posts
Jun 12, 2013
1:52 AM
Agree with the 5751 in v1, also a 12at7 in v3. Don't worry about v2. I heard a Deville with 12au7 in v1 and no way would you call it wimpy but you know...they vary. As do players and mics...if you retube, I'd say plug into the number 1 input.
----------
harpburn
63 posts
Jun 12, 2013
5:13 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys. This has really helped a lot! Hey, and if it's good enough for Kim Wilson, Rick, it's certainly good enough for me!
----------
-------------

Post a Message
Guest Name

(4096 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.