Dirty-South Blues Harp forum: wail on! > ICEMAN - Bose L1
ICEMAN - Bose L1
Login  |  Register
Page: 1

HarpNinja
3146 posts
Jan 28, 2013
11:13 AM
I know you like it. If I am playing my normal rig through it with it behind me, will it feedback? Thinking of downsizing to one instead of a full PA as I am starting up a duo (some acoustic some electric). I am wondering if doing vocals and harp will lend itself to feedback. Thanks!
----------
Custom Harmonicas
Optimized Harmonicas

Shredder
375 posts
Jan 28, 2013
11:38 AM
Mike, I currently use 2 L1's with my electric band with no issues. I also have an acoustic duo where I play a large condenser mic on a stand. Never had F/B issues with either set up.Nowwww you can get feed back if you turn up the volume real high. If You gain stage the mic properly the feed back is a non issue. I also use a bose Compact as a clean travel rig or personal monitor that works real good and it's got a line out to send to the PA. I'll never go back to the conventional set up.
Mike
The Iceman
709 posts
Jan 28, 2013
11:43 AM
Mike,

The BOSE systems will do whatever it is you ask of them. However, there may be a slight learning curve to discover the full capabilities. They are only limited by your imagination.

By design, they are made to sit behind the performers, so FB is easily controlled and eliminated by proper usage of the system.

Remember, they are not made to BLAST the sound out, but do deliver crystal clear studio quality sound that will fill the venue w/out a geometric drop off in volume as the listener moves to the back of the venue.

As Shredder suggests, once you "get it", you'll never go back to conventional PA's.
----------
The Iceman
Kingley
2265 posts
Jan 28, 2013
11:48 AM
I play at a low volume jam where they use a Bose L1 system. The sound quality is superb.
HarpNinja
3148 posts
Jan 28, 2013
11:55 AM
I am realizing there is a L1, L1 Model 1 (discontinued), and L1 Model 2. I had a buddy who had a pair, but he sold them off a while ago.

I'd love to get my hands on one, but am realizing the all inclusive unit (Model 2) is like $2,500 new. The Model 1 seems to be what I would want. I haven't seen any used in the area other than the one my buddy had, and I guess I didn't realize he had unloaded it.

Ideally, I'd sell off my gear, get a Bose, and have a few bucks left over.
----------
Custom Harmonicas
Optimized Harmonicas

The Iceman
711 posts
Jan 28, 2013
12:06 PM
may not see too many used ones being sold. most love them and hold onto them.
----------
The Iceman
HarpNinja
3149 posts
Jan 28, 2013
12:13 PM
Did some more checking - someone has the L1T used, but it was confusing which that meant and the price seemed high. I guess the M1 with Tone Core and Bass module can be had for just under $2,000. That'd work if I sold my whole PA. Having to lug a mixer for a duo sorta defeats the purpose of going compact.
----------
Custom Harmonicas
Optimized Harmonicas

Shredder
376 posts
Jan 28, 2013
3:04 PM
Mike, I have the l-1 model 2. with the 4 channel Tone match mixer and 2 B1 bass units. Yes they are pricey and yes they are hard to come by 2nd hand. If it's just 2 of you 1, B-1 bass unit will do. The model 1 units had every thing in the base unit which was big and bulky. I know several owners and they like my model 2 better.The Tone match is nice because it has tons of mic presets and effects along with compression. I mount mine to a mic stand and can adjust it as needed with out having to go back to the unit and turn a knob. Usually around march Bose will run a factory sponsored discount thru all its vendors. Any other time you pay full price no matter where you buy new. The attached demo was recorded thru our Bose. The mixer has line outs and a master out. Mike

Last Edited by on Jan 28, 2013 3:05 PM
The Iceman
712 posts
Jan 28, 2013
3:49 PM
woo hoo. Just checked the BOSE web site. Haven't looked in a while.

Apparently, the L1 Model 1 is discontinued, as Harpninja sez. At the time, $2400 would get you the unit along with TWO bass speakers ($300 ea).

When Model 2 came out, I decided I liked Model 1 better as it has 4 inputs while the Model 2 only had 2 inputs (probably designed to be used with the ToneMatch mixer).

You can use the ToneMatch with the Model 1, but it will require a separate power box source where in the Model 2 the power is built into this system.

I found the Model 1 to be more versatile for my concepts.

It sets up and breaks down in 5 minutes. You will love that.
----------
The Iceman
Jim Rumbaugh
823 posts
Jan 28, 2013
4:45 PM
I am a pro "speakers behind" the band. In my youth, when we played too loud, that was stupid idea to think about. Also, having miss matched mics made it a problem. But now, I say it's the only way to really know what you sound like. Not to mention, I don't use a sound man.

I will say, speakers behind, are not for guys that don't play at a reasonable volume, and not for amatuers that don't listen to each other in the band, and adjust their volume accordingly.

This is a good place to quote Phil Wiggins after listening to The Harmonica Club play one night. "This is a magical place. It's the only place I know where guys don't keep turning up knobs all night long"
----------
theharmonicaclub.com (of Huntington, WV)
The Iceman
713 posts
Jan 29, 2013
6:31 AM
A side benefit I've noticed in using the BOSE systems for a group is that, since the band members can hear everything crystal clear, they tend to play quieter on stage.

Knowing that what they are hearing is the exact same music mix that the audience hears makes mature musicians play more responsibly.
----------
The Iceman
bloozefish
72 posts
Jan 29, 2013
8:33 AM
I had the chance to hear the Iceman's Bose system at a Mark Hummel Blowout near Orlando a few years back, and I was blown away by the quality of that system. It made a believer out of me.

James

Post a Message
Guest Name

(4096 Characters Left)

Please enter the code shown above and click the 'Post Message' button. This additional step is required to help protect against message spam.